Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool trash compactor, probably 20 years old but similiar

Customer Question

Whirlpool trash compactor, probably 20 years old but similiar to newer model TU900QPPQ
DOOR WILL NOT OPEN
Motor runs, ram will go down, not reverse.
Ram will not go all way up via motor or via manual advance of chain
Exact model no is behind door!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it sounds like you have a common failure. You'll need to pull the compactor out from underneath the countertop and tip it on it's side. Remove all the screws going into the bottom sheet metal cover panel. That will expose the plastic drive gears on the bottom of the compactor and usually one of these plastic gears strips out or just cracks and breaks and needs to be replaced. Either way below is a link to the kit you'd need to order for your model and install. You don't really need all the parts, just replace the broken gear and you should be fine. CLICK HERE for drive gear kit We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.