Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

We have a 42" GE MONOGRAM SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR. Recently

Customer Question

We have a 42" GE MONOGRAM SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR. Recently we have been dealing with problems with the ice dispenser. The good news, it is making plenty of ice. The downside, it does not dispense the Ice. When we push button for ice cubes or crushed ice, nothing happens now. No noise, as it had made when it did work. At that time we would hear the noise (auger engage), and the machine would begin to dispense ice through the outlet.
Note, does dispense cold water with no problems. We change the filter every six months. A few service calls ago, technician told us to replace as soon as we notice a decrease in the water pressure. Fortunately have never experienced that issue.
I welcome any suggestions you can offer me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Jeff
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.
1. When trying to dispense ice or water does the dispenser light come on and then FADE off when releasing pad ? 2 . With the ice bucket out can you grab the augur motor tines and turn it in either direction by hand ( this is a gear reduction motor so it doesn't turn real easily , but should turn ) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, working normally.2. Yes, turns with hand pressure. When I replaced box; I align the auger and motor times. When push button for Ice or Crushed, no noise or movement.
ok please send me the model number of your refrigerator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for delay, slowed down due to recovering from surgery. Couldn't recall where to find information on refrigerator. Found a product manual when shopping. Model #: ZISW420DR. GE MONOGRAM 42" BUILT-IN SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR WITH DISPENSER.Need anything else, please ask. Regards, Jeff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to be a pest, was the Model number I forwarded to you correct number? Do you need any additional information to help me resolve our problem of dispensing Ice Cubes?Again thank you for attempting to resolve this for us. Regards, Jeff
It could be the freezer door switch .Pry the door switch out and jump the two wires together and see if the dispenser works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference. Note lights in freezer section as well as on Water/Ice panel hasn't been effective by any of this. Always work. Should I call repair service? BTW, unit continues to produce plenty of ice. Ice maker and green light have never stopped working.
Try one more thing before calling for service - had this just a few days ago - the auger and cube solenoid plug in to the back wall of the freezer ( you need to take the auger motor panel out to really access this ) One I had the connector had ice in it , wasn't making a good connection . Unplug this connector and look inside both the male and female parts of it . Use a hairdryer to thaw if there is ice , then replug and try . Still not working - call for service, you're down to the main control board or the dispenser board not working.