Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our new Kitchen Aid electric slide-in range makes a whistling

Customer Question

Our new Kitchen Aid electric slide-in range makes a whistling sound whenever the oven is turned on to Bake. A service person came out and said that the sound is made by a cooling fan, but the sound is quite annoying. What can be done?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Without actually hearing the noise, I can't tell you if the noise is normal or not. But there is a cooling fan that turns on whenever the oven is turned on to make sure the electronics are cooled down. This feature can not be bypassed. It should just sound like a normal fan running. If it's whistling or making some other sound than any other fan just running, then your cooling fan just needs to be replaced. There is a year warranty at a minimum on these ranges so if it's less than a year old call warranty and have them replace the cooling fan motor. If you didn't like the service person that came out before or they are refusing to replace the cooling fan, then I'd request a different company or a different technician. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.