Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have 10 yr old cook top. Problem one burner will lite ok,

Customer Question

We have 10 yr old cook top. Problem one burner will lite ok, then have flare up go right back down but the will reoccur . No one has corrected the problem which has been on going since we had the unit.
It's the large burner on the right front .
George
*****@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
Are you saying the flame flares up and then goes out? I am not sure I understand the exact issue correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No flame does not go out, just large burst of flame then back to normal but may do this several times . Other burners don't have this problem. What do we do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have any answer yet I'm still waiting.
Is the burner lighting up right away? or is there a build up of gas due to a delayed light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lighting as normal , burns normal and then u get this unexpected flare up . Goes back down and may or may not do the same flare up. You never know and it's dangerous to use this way. Need help.
When it flares up does the color change, is there some oil or anything that could be causing the flare up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No oil . Burst is a blue and orange at the top . Stove is clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no answer waiting!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guess you will not answer , only ask questions, Still waiting.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue has to be with the gas pressure increasing to cause the flare ups. Since the large burner is the one most used, that is probably why it has been the only one that is problematic. So, I would recommend replacing the pressure regulator. The model you provided is for the vent hood. If you can provide the model of the range I can get you a link to the correct part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get this forward to u. Would this regulator control all burners or just the one.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, it would affect all of the burners but since the large burner is the one that is usually used most often and this issue is intermittent, I still suspect it to be the issue. That is the only thing that will cause the flame to get higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u we will get the , model no and part no. For a repairman . Thank u.
George
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, thank you!
Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!
Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!