Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Amana BB20V1PS freezer is not cooling (thus neither is fridge).

Customer Question

Amana BB20V1PS freezer is not cooling (thus neither is fridge). constant humming noise coming from under the fridge...could this be the compressor.
btw I am completely ignorant when it comes to electronics, but I want to have an idea of what the problem might be and how much it might cost before I bring in a repairman.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the noise you're hearing could be the compressor. On the back bottom there is a fan and the compressor that are running. Do you hear a humming noise and then a click or a constant hum? Open the freezer door and look on the back panel inside do you see a small layer of frost/ice on the back panel? Also, do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a constant hum. I opened the back panel and saw no frost at all either on the outside or inside
(have previously had problems with the coils icing over but that seemed to be from a door leak)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the noise seems to be coming from the right bottom by the coils
Do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? The humming noise is coming from the bottom right side near the back right? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is running in the freezer, but not loud.
the hum is coming from underneath
Are you able to remove the back panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i have done that
Perfect. We need to look at the frost pattern on the evaporator. The evaporator should have 1/16 frost from top to bottom. It sounds like the compressor is running so you should have a good frost pattern. I suspect you have a freon leak or a sealed system issue. If you only see frost on the top corner of the evaporator, you have a compressor/freon problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no frost at all...not even damp. inside is room temp
That's not good. Pull the unit forward and verify that the compressor is running. If it is, you have a freon leak most likely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that I can pull it forward by myself. Is there anything I can figure out by the whiney hum?
Also I've noticed for a while that the ice cream was a bit soft.
The compressor makes a humming type of noise when it's running. That's why I think it's running. it sounds like the freon has slowly leaked out of the unit. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would this be fixed...is it expensive?
If a technician comes out is it generally something they can do on the spot?
Normally you would try and find the leak. You want to fix the leak before you repair the unit. Once the leak was fixed you could then recharge the system. It can get expensive. If you need to replace the compressor it could be as much as $800. A simple leak repair and recharge could cost anywhere from $250-500. Usually a technician will have to come back. Although depending on how the technicians days going he could have enough time to make a small leak repair. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you