Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have one 320 liter Samsung frost free refrigerator which

Customer Question

I have one 320 liter Samsung frost free refrigerator which is about 10 years old.Due to fouling of cooling fan with ice deposited on the cooling coil already the timer,the heating coil & cooling fan have been changed.It has worked satisfactorily for about 3 months. Now again the refrigerator is giving problem, the cooling effect is low & the cooling fan was touching ice formed at cooling coil. On inspection it has been found that the ice formation is only in very small portion & suspected chocking of cooling coil/gas shortage/slowdown in compressor.Request to identify the problem & solution.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know that by charging gas in the compressor system can I get the refrigerator in full working condition ?
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, are you able to upload a picture of the coils with the frost/ice patch on the top? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the refrigerator has been put on use & it is cooling partially.Right now the ice formation is not fouling with the cooling fan. The ice formation was near the top portion of the coil. We are using the freezer as regular fridge.
So the top corner of the evaporator is the only part that has any frost or ice on it? The rest of the fins do not have any frost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Thank you. Yes, you have a freon issue. The compressor could be insufficient or the freon could have leaked out. The coils behind the back panel should have 1/16 frost from top to bottom. You will need special tools and license to recover the remaining freon and tools to charge. Check the use and care manual. Some of these had an extended warranty on the sealed system. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow I will contact the repair center to needful as advised by you.
Sounds good. Good luck. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any chance of poor performance of the compressor due to aging ?
It's possible. The most common issue is a leak.
I work on the honor system here at Just Answers. I do not receive credit until you rate my answer positively. After rating positively the questions does not close and follow up questions are no additional charge. Remember to rate positively before logging off.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had called the mechanic, the cooling coil was suspected chocked,cleaned the cooling coil & then charged gas.After 12 hrs the compressor tripped,even with best effort it didn't start.Now I have replaced the old refrigerator with a new one after spending substantial time & money.However thank you anticipating some good solution in future.
Regards,
Rabindra Nath