Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Samsung showing codes 5 3 and the model number is

Customer Question

I have a Samsung showing codes 5 3 and the model number is ***** its a sxs stainless fridge what does the code mean_
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it sounds like you might have more than one error code. Each missing segment equals a valve. Look at the link Click Here and let me know which codes you see. I can explain what each code means and how to fix it. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the code is actually 5 E i made a mistake
No worries. That error code indicates the defrost sensor is shorted. So you have a cooling issue inside the refrigerator section. Usually what happens is the frost on the evaporator builds up because the auto defrost sensor is not coming on. The defrost sensor on the right side of the evaporator could be bad or the actual defrost heater could have failed. You will need to remove the back panel inside the refrigerator and access the coils. Completely defrost them and make a continuity test on the defrost sensor and the defrost heater. One of them will be open. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you