Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

The motor stopped spinning with

Customer Question

The motor stopped spinning with a 4 flash code. I ordered a new motor from GE, installed it and it worked 2 weeks before it stopped with a 7 flash code. I ordered another motor, the replacement lasted 1 day with another 7 flash code. I checked the lid switch and the lid fuse with a continuity check. I'm reading conflicting info on resetting the codes, but that shouldn't be an issue. What could be happening?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
What method are you using to reset the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplug for 30 seconds. Lift lid 10 or more time in first 20 seconds. Each time I replaced the motor, it worked without resetting.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
When you do the reset what shows on the motor light that is flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the same time? I don't know. Immediately after... same 7 flash code.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
TO do a proper reset, need to set it to spin then unplug the machine... wait the 10 minutes then plug it in and then open and close the lid 7 times in 10 seconds, tell me what happens..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have printed your directions to follow it. I set it to rinse/spin. Unplugged for at least 20 minutes. I plugged it back in and did the open close thing for at least 10 times in 20 seconds. I'll try it again your way.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Didn't work
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Check you lid switch..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did. I did a continuity test, opening and shutting the lid. I had continuity with the lid shut, and open with the lid up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you done helping me?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I never saw your last response, Have you ohmed out the shifter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain how to do that?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below..... The four light flash is a shifter code.. Click here for the instructions All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would I check something for a four flash code when it's flashing seven times??? This is the same repair guide I've been using!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it! I have been without a washer for too long. I would like my money back please.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
I see the last expert has opted out .
I can tell you what the 7 flashes mean if you would want to continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. You probably haven't read the communication I already went through with the last "expert". I also already have the GE repair guide as well. I would like my money back please.