Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I hooked up a floor cleaner battery wrong and there is a dead

Customer Question

I hooked up a floor cleaner battery wrong and there is a dead short. I have the wiring diagram but I cant seem to find the short.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model is a Fang 26T with two 12 volt deep cycle batteries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last page of this PDF file contains the wiring diagram
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is probably a reverse polarity diode to protect it from being connected backwards in the circuit breaker assembly. That is probably where the issue lies. Are you getting voltage up to that but not past it? What exactly is happening with the machine now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I know what diode your talking about. My maintenance guy said he narrowed the problem to the control side where the switches and breakers are. What happened now is we plug in battery, turn key on, and then hit the main power switch on the control panel. Which then trips the main breaker. I figgured there would be some sort of reverse polarity protection but just couldn't figure out where.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If it trips the breaker still after the batteries have been connected correctly, then something got damaged and shorted to ground. That would be very odd with the circuit breaker in line with the negative side of the batteries but is possible. Are you able to measure the voltage right at the circuit breaker, measuring on both sides of the breaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I got the whole thing apart but everything still respectively hooked up. as soon as I send the voltage through it immediately trips. How and what would I be testing for?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am going to place your question back to the list. You are going to need some advanced electrical skills to be able perform the necessary tests and a test meter. You may want to have it professionally repaired as you may do more harm that could end up costing much more than it will right now. If another has any input, they will post back to you. Please do not rate as it will lock the question and prevent others from responding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a good meter and basic knowledge of electrical circuits, just need someone to walk me through a diagnosis process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UPDATE : Kelly you were right, I found two other protective diodes external to the solenoid but in series. one was bad. Problem solved tested the power and it functions. Thank you I will rate you for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please re activate your services on this question Kelly so that I can rate you, because it wont let me right now