Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have an LG Side by side door refrigerator with the freezer

Customer Question

I have an LG Side by side door refrigerator with the freezer on left.The problem I seem to be having right now is that there is somehow moister getting outside of the ice bucket where the ice drops into dispenser. I always have frozen water built up around the seal of the ice maker door and other areas of the ice maker cabinet if you will, such as under the ice bucket . It's like the frost that forms in an old freezer on the walls. It was new in 2009 or 2010
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what is the model number from the sticker inside the refrigerator section? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LSC26905SW

Frost/ice is building up under the ice bucket and down the ice chute where the ice comes out of the door? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an appliance expert here with the website and I can help you today since the previous expert is either off line or not responding right now.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
the most common cause to this problem is a dispenser ice chute that is not fully closing. leaving a small amount of air going through the chute and getting into the under side of the ice bucket. which the warmer air cases the ice in the bucket to melt.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
get back to me here when you are ready to work on this more and I will help you more. I will tell you exactly what to look for and what to do to fix it. I will even tell you where to get parts cheaply on line. just get back to me here when you are ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I am ready. What's next?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I am just now getting the message that you responded back to me. First thing you need to do here is open the freezer door and take a look down into the ice door chute from the inside part of the freezer door. Do you see a small amount of light coming through? or do you see that the ice door chute is not fully closing and letting in some air?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you cant see any light or air coming through the door chute, please try pressing the freezer door switch in and have someone hit the paddle not he freezer door as it is set to cubed or crushed ice. With the ice bucket out of course so ice doesn't go all over the floor. The ice door chute will open then close if it doesn't close all the way that is the issue. If it is fully opening and closing then please let me know what as well. I will walk you through some other steps. But pleas try this first it is the most common issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hve to try this and get back to you later. closer to 2pm EST. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I pushed the button for "cube" ice, released and the flap opened then closed after about 3 seconds. Same for the "crushed" button.

I do not see any light peeking through when I look down the chute from the inside of the door.

So what do we try next.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for checking that. Next check the door gasket. All the way around the freezer door. Do you see any spots that are cracked, torn or not fully sealing around the door frame when the door is closed? If you do then we now know the warm air from outside the ref is getting into freezer. And since warm air rises it is making its way to the ice maker and ice bucket and melting it.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If that is the case then you will have to replace the gasket or adjust the door hinge. If you need to do that or need to replace the door gasket because it's cracked or damaged let me know and I'll get you the part info so you can order it.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If the gasket is good as well as the hinge let me know that too and we can go over a few other possibilities.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The gasket looks good and as far as I can tell the hinge is as well.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay. If you are sure the door gasket is good and the ice door chute is not staying open slightly then the only other possibility for the moisture building up on and in and around the icemaker and bucket is a defrost control not timing correctly along with the thermistor/ temp sensor. You will need to replace these components. Again, only if you are sure the other components are good.
Get back to me here if you need the parts info and I will get that info for you.