Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a year old ge dishwasher After the dishes are done

Customer Question

I have a year old ge dishwasher
After the dishes are done I open the dishwasher there is bad odor.
The dishes have taken on the odor and I have to rinse them to get rid of it.
Suggestions so far I have tried.
Filter is completely clean
No water in the bottom remains
Done the sanitized cycle with no dishes
Handyman checked properly hooked up
Unscrewed the drain at sink cleaned
Tried a new dishwasher soap
Asked Ge and they had not heard of this problem
HELP????
Thanks Donna
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello Donna, My name is ***** ***** I have heard of this several times before. One time it was such a strong smell of plastic the homeowner felt like they were washing their dishes with plastic soap. The other time is was a bit of mold and mildew under the main sump and drain filters from built up soap scum. the customer had said just like you did that they had cleaned the machine but didnt realize that there was another area under the main filters that would collect water, soap and other food debris. And when it was left there for years it got worse and worse to the point where their dishwasher was better left closed and not opened becuase the smell was so bad.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
First thing I have to do here is ask you a few questions to get familiar with what has been done already and what needs to be done either again or for the first time. So please bare with me if I seem to be repeating myself or am asking questions you may have already been asked.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
First and for most, is the dishwasher over a year old or under? This would be very important to know just for the sole fact that the dishwasher manufacturer would cover or honor the warranty if it was to be under a year. So if for some reason I couldnt track down the issue and problem with you now, or the problem couldnt be fixed for some odd reason, at least the manufacturer can be called and they could come out to look or even replace it for free if there really was no repair available.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Now lets get down to the smell or odor that is bothering you. Can you please very specific when describing what the odor is that you smell inside the dishwasher and even on the dishes since you have to again rinse them clean after running a wash cycle? I know it may be heard to describe the smell but please try to think of descriptions like plastic smell or burning odor, or even mildew type smell. The more descriptive you are the beter and quicker I will be able to tell when the oodor might be coming from.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Please also tell me what you have done again to remedy the situation? Like what filters exactly have you cleaned out? have you checked the internal filters below the bottom wash arm that are in the top of the sump motor? Have you checked the drain hose internally, not just for any blockages or kinks or obstructions? Have you actually put your nose into the dishwasher, drain hoses and other parts to determine if one area of the machine smells more then the others?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
The more information you give me the better I will be able to help you. So please lets first stop here and tell me the answers to those questions and int he meantime while I am waiting for you to get back to me here, I will research you specific model and bring up and have ready the diagrams, exploded view parts breakdowns and other service manuals ready to go so we can go over a few things. Please get back to me here when you have a minute to work on this again and I will help you more. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I think this may have been a result of our water softener.
I reset and did a load of dishes and it seems to have cleared up. I will contact you again if the issue has not been resolved.
Thanks again
Donna
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes Donna, if the water softner was either dirty or in need of salt, it could be the issue. If you have cleared up the problem then great. Just get back to me here if you need any other help.
Thanks again.