Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My self cleaning Amana electric glass top range manual oven

My self cleaning Amana electric glass top range manual oven lock has broken off in locked position. So I am not able to open the oven. Any advice on what I should do? I attempted to pry open the stove glass top in order to access the mechanism, but the top seems to be screwed or latched down in some way. Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this is quite a complicated situation. You can not remove the glass top without opening the door first. You would need to manually unlock the door and replace the lock mechanism to fix this issue. You will need something L-shaped and very strong like an Allen wrench. Slide the Allen wrench in sideways between the top of the oven door and the top panel. Turn the Allen wrench so that the "L" prong on the end faces down and then pull the Allen wrench to the left. You'll need to pull very hard because you must actually bend the latch hook so that you can open the door and replace the latch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have attempted to wrench the mechanism open. While I am unable to see it, it feels as it the mechanism is internal and I will not really be able to get an L shaped tool into the area where the latch is. Are there any sort of drawings or schematics to view, so that I can tell where the latch is?

The latch is behind the door directly in the middle about 2 inches down from the top of the door. Without the model number which would need the door open to see, I don't see an diagram for this oven, but opening the door will be the same process as advised as before regardless on all Amana ovens.