Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have front loading kenmore 417 wash machine/gas dryer pair

I have front loading kenmore 417 wash machine/gas dryer pair in custom cabinet in lndry room-need replacement. What is capacity of washer? I cannot find non-"compact" (2.2 cu ft) pair that will fit into existing cabinet space. Cabinet accepts a H 35 1/2 ", W 54 " for both machines, D 27" (since cab is open faced, it could be a little more). Are there any washing drying pairs that would fit, approx. same capacity, or refurbished model 417 for sale?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So these particular washers that you're trying to replace have been discontinued over 5 years ago. They were actually made by Frigidiare and sold under the Gibson, Frigidaire, Ge, and Kenmore brand names. There are currently no washer and dryers that will fit in your existing space without downsizing a bit and getting an apartment size washer and dryer. Other than that, you might find a used one for sale on Ebay or Craig's list or something like that, but these machines were discontinued quite a few years ago now and nothing is currently made to fit the same space.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Does anybody sell refurbished 417 pairs, or approximately what would it cost to have each machine completly refurbished with new essential parts? Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
There is no one that I know of that sells refurbished units. The dryer would probably only cost about $150-200 to replace all the maintenance parts and clean the unit up so it's working like new again. The real problem is the washer because shocks would need to be replaced, the rubber gasket, and likely the rear drum bearing which is part of the rear outer tub. The cost to replace the rear bearing and such costs more than a new unit at about $700+ so it's up to you if you really wanted to put that much money into the unit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information. You forgot to tell me the washing machine capacity and I've been unable to find that in the manuals and online. Can you get that to me please? Your information and service has been excellent, and responses very timely. Thanks for that.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
The washer on this style unit is a 3.1 cu ft washer and the dryer is a

Also, if you wanted to look for the Frigidaire model, the model number is XXXXX This was the original model that the others are based on. The dryer is a 5.7 cu ft dryer.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.