The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a Whirpool Gold Refrigerator side by side GS6SHEXNQ00

I have a Whirpool Gold Refrigerator side by side GS6SHEXNQ00 the front of the thin center that separates the side by side doors is always very hot to the touch, is this normal if not what could be causing it to be hot

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

It is called a yoder loop. What it does is help keep moisture out of the refrigerator.

If it is hot to the touch it usually indicates a blockage in the system or a low refrigerant condition.

What you need to do is contact a service company to have a look at it. This is not a user serviceable item. It requires gauges, a vacuum pump, and refrigerant recovery tools.

Regards, Smitty

NOTE: It is illegal to work with refrigerants without an EPA certificate. Dischargeing refrigerant into the atmosphere degrades the earths ozone layer and is subject of up to a 5000.00 fine and or imprisonment in the county jail of up to 6 months.

Sorry for the bad news. I wish it could be better.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, one more question can this problem result in a short in the system or possibly cause a fire from the heat? Silly question sorry, just concerned as the door to my dishwasher started smoking a few months ago I am kind of freaked out thanks

No, Regina. At worst it may warp the plastic surrounding the loop, but it can't start a fire.