Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Jenn-Air range/convection oven Model No. SVE47600B.

Customer Question

I have a Jenn-Air range/convection oven Model No. SVE47600B. After the oven is on and cooking for about 1 hour, the digital display starts flashing, the fan seems to cycle, I receive a failure code of F1 and the oven starts beeping. The oven will not shut down by hitting the cancel button. The only way to shut the oven down is by interrupting power to the oven. I have replaced the ERC (clock assembly) on two previous occasions, the last time was 7 years ago. Does this appear to be my problem again. I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Jerry Bazinet XXX-XXX-XXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The F1 indicates that there is an issue with the touch pad assembly. It will likely need to be replaced and is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Touch Pad Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Kelly,

Your answer indicates that the defective part is probably the touchpad, however may be the control panel (Is this the ERC?) . The touchpad cost ~ $200.00 and the ERC (control panel ?) cost ~$350.00. If there is a greater than 50% chance it could be the ERC, I may want to consider other options, e.g. a new oven. What is your advice?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Erratic and unresponsive buttons are almost always touch pad related. If you order through the link I provided, you may return the part for a full refund, even if installed! That will negate the risk and make the decision a bit easier.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Kelly,

Is the installation of the touchpad relatively easy?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Oh yeah, it simply plugs in to the control assembly. The knobs will need to be removed and the switch screws, but it is not difficult.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kelly,

I installed the touch pad - installation went smoothly. However, the oven now does not heat up at all. The touch pad/control panel seems to be working fine but the oven will not heat up. Are you still available to answer questions and help with my problem without additional cost?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Oh, of course! Do the top burners still work?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes the top burners are still working.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Okay, does the broil work? Do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will check the broil but I doubt it works because I tried the self-clean and it would not work/heat up at all. Yes, I do have a meter to test voltage.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Great! There is a high limit thermal fuse that would cause both elements not to work. It is in line with the black wire from the terminal block and mounted on the top of the oven. Can you test it for continuity?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK. Can I get to it by removing the front control panel or is it located near the back of the oven in which case I will need to slide the oven out from the cabinets? I did check the broiler and it does not work. The display shows Hi and the fan turns on but no heat from the element.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
That thermal fuse is accessed from the back. You will have to pull the range out and remove the rear access panel. I suspect it is open if both broil and bake are not working.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK. Will need some help so will do later and let you know the results.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
You bet, thank you!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Kelly,

Well, I pulled the oven out to get access to the back. There were three black wires coming from the terminal board. One is just a jumper. The one I believe you referred to goes to a thermal switch ? which mounts to the oven top inside the unit. I did a continuity check and it checks OK. The other black wire goes from the terminal strip to what looks like a relay on a smaller printed circuit board. I checked it as well and it checked OK. Still scratching my head - what's next?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Great, thank you! Now, on the bake element, there are two wires. One of those wires is connected to the broil element. Remove that wire from the bake element and tape it off. Then, turn the oven to a bake mode and test between the wire on the element that is left and ground. Do you read 120 VAC?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When you say bake element are you referring to the switch at the top that I just checked. It has a black wire and orange wire connected to opposite sides? Then, I will need to power the oven up to put it in bake mode and do the check, right?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
No, the bake element is the thing that gets hot to cook the food. It has two wires connected to it. The one wire goes up to the broil element. Remove that wire and then turn the oven on and test between the wire left on the bake element to ground.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Got it. Removed the wire going to the broil element and checked for voltage between the remaining wire on the bake element and ground. Results are 0 volts. I assume this indicates a defective bake element.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
No, that means the control board is not working. You should read 120 VAC from the relay on that board. The broil does not work either?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I reconnected the broil element wire and removed the bake element wire and checked for voltage and it read 110VAC so the broil element is OK.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
That will read 120 VAC because that wire is connected directly to the incoming power, that is why I had you remove it. I believe that control board will need to be replaced and is available below.

Relay Board <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That is bad news - another $240.00. Does this mean that the original touch pad is probably OK and the control board was causing all the problems? Also, it seems strange that the oven was working for awhile (~1hr. or so at temps. up to ~400 degrees F) prior to changing the touch pad and then after installing the new touch pad, the oven quit completely. Any thoughts on why that would be?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
No, the initial issue was definitely the touch pad. This control is the high voltage control and will not cause the issues with the touch pad not working. I am not sure why it would have failed, but if you have the results of the voltage tests you stated and the top burners are working fine, the control is faulty.