Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Maytag 745G not cycling correctly I have a Maytag 745G (Model#LAT9235AAE)

Maytag 745G not cycling correctly

I have a Maytag 745G (Model#LAT9235AAE) that is behaving strangely.
It fills and goes through initial wash cycle, but doesn't agitate
during that time (i.e. it just sits there while the dial advances
towards the end of the wash cycle). At the end of the wash cycle, it
will drain, spin, and then enter the rinse cycle as expected. During
the rinse cycle it fills with water and behaves like it does in the
wash cycle, except it normally never drains or spins (i.e. at the end
of the complete cycle the machine is still full of water).

Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that is definitely an odd way for the washer to act, but the fact that the washer will agitate during the rinse cycle and does spin and drain after the wash cycle means that your motor is working properly. Unfortunately that means that your timer would need to be ordered and replaced because it's not sending power properly when it should be washing or spinning at the end of the cycle. Below is a link to the timer you'd need to order for your model and unfortunately it's about $150.

CLICK HERE for timer

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. My explanation wasn't very clear; it doesn't agitate during any cycle. And it seems sort of hit or miss whether or not it sill spin at the end of the rinse cycle. It does seem to always spin at the end of the wash cycle. But I don't think that changes your diagnosis and now I have to decide if it's worth it to spend $150 on a 10+ year old washer. Are you fairly confident this is the problem (I.e. are there any other less likely problems that could cause these symptoms), and is swapping out the timer module something a guy with only a moderate amount of experience tinkering with appliances can tackle?

On a related question (If I'm not allowed followup questions I understand), when I first discovered the problem I was presented with a washer completely full of water. Further experimenting led me to the fact that it works sometimes. My question is this: Is there some form of "magic" that will force the washer to drain or would I have been forced to resort to siphoning off the water

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
You are definitely allowed follow-up questions,but I think you're correct that it doesn't really matter in this case and your timer still sounds like it's bad. If you're handy you can replace the part yourself but the control panel would need to be removed. The timer itself is just plug and play and very straight forward.

Unfortunately I don't think there is really a form of magic that will get the washer to spin out and drain other than just fiddling with the timer enough times that it MIGHT make contact.