Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Trying to diagnose problem with Modular crescent icemaker.

Trying to diagnose problem with Modular crescent icemaker. Tested for power in test points L & N with unit plugged in and on. Voltage was less than 40. Removed modular unit and tested voltage from control circuit board (WHite common & black with white stripe) got less than 40 volts. Replaced control circuit board got same readings unit still won't cycle. Is there a component or connection before the circuit board that might be the problem? Or is the gear position of the drive moter interrupting the power? What is the normal idle position of the geare on the drive motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number for your refrigerator so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

KitchenAid Model # XXXXX

I also replaced the thermostat. Ohms readings for motor at points L & M were 8800 and Mold Heater at points L & H were 72 on spec.

OK so you can't test power to the icemaker like other more basic units because the icemaker is only sent power in short intervals when the emitter boards tell the icemaker to advance. The process you're going around testing the problem is never going to work so lets start over. If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Red Light flashes with door open and is steady when flap is pushed in. No ice or water in tray now. Unit was removed and put back after thermostat was replaced. Ejector fingers are pointing up and toward the freezer door at approx. 45 degrees. pushing on the fingers toward the back meets resistance to the force, but fingers move freely in the opposite rotation.

OK perfect. So your emitter boards are working, and your icemaker is in the "ready" position to cycle. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator.  First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees.  Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (maybe use a turkey baster since it's difficult to get water into the icemaker) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice.  If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad.  If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker on the right side and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out.  You can also make sure it's not frozen by pulling the refrigerator out and disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker down at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

When testing the solenoids, water flowed to the tray. I will fill the tray with a baster and wait for a cycle to start. In the mean time do you have an illustration of the the Icemaker Head showing the gear position in idle mode? If so, could you send it to me by e-mail? Since the unit was disassembled when the thermostat was replaced, I'm not sure I put it back together in the correct position.

I cannot contact you by Email, but below is a picture of the head of the icemaker so you can see how it goes together. But if the water valve is definitely good, then blow through the water line and make sure it's clear up to the icemaker. If so---you need a new icemaker.

CLICK HERE for images of icemaker head/gears

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.