Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I purchased a new Whirlpool, 29 cu ft, french door, water/ice

I purchased a new Whirlpool, 29 cu ft, french door, water/ice in the door, freezer on the bottom refrigerator. After having it home for a couple of days I noticed ice building up on the back, upper right section of the refrig compartment. I had a tech out, he said this was an inherent problem, repaired it (and added clear caulk, which I thought was weird on a new frig) and told me that when he opened up the area, the part he was replacing had a "blue dot" which told him, it had been replaced before (probably at the factory) and more than likely it would happen again. So, I returned the frig and purchased a new KitchenAid with the same features. This refrig has a platinum interior. I've had the frig for 3 days and I see the same ice build up happening again! I haven't called the tech yet. Have you heard of this problem and can it be permanently fixed? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I just wanted to say that this is not an issue you'll be able to fix right now. The technician is correct that there is an inherent problem with this refrigerator and Whirlpool is currently working on an engineering fix, but there is no fix as of yet. They've tried 3 different fixes that were very minor and never really solved the issue. At most, the problem would go away for 1 week or so. Either way, they are working on a permanent fix right now, but there is no word when the fix will come out. Whirlpool own Maytag and Kitchen Aid, so any french door model you buy right now with an icemaker in the refrigerator section will have this same issue. If you like the design, you would need to just clear the ice/water regularly once a week or so until the re-design is complete. You can stay in contact with the service company and get updates on whether or not the kit is out yet to fix the problem every week. Other than that, you'd need to get a refrigerator that isn't made by Whirlpool at this time or don't get a french door model with ice in the refrigerator section.

I'm really sorry about the bad news, and it's really just an engineering issue right now. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was afraid of this. Do you this the Kenmore Elite would also have the same issue?

They would not because their french door units are actually made by LG.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ah, interesting. Any problems that you know of with the Elite series? So, it seems it would be a waste of time to call the repair tech. out, as this problem cannot be fixed....at this time. I have sixty days for a return/exchange. Do you have any recommendations for keeping the ice build-up at a minimum?

There is really no way to keep the ice built up to a minimum other than to thaw it out with a hair dryer and soak up all the water with a towel once a week or so. But there are really no currently common problem with these Elite units. They had issues with the lights sticking on, but that has been corrected. They are probably the better unit overall in my opinion even if the leaking issue was fixed on the Whirlpool units--as far as reliability goes.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.