Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have a whilrlpool gold model GD5SHGXKT01. I moved it from

I have a whilrlpool gold model GD5SHGXKT01. I moved it from one house to the next. It had not ran for a month but prior to that it was working excellent. I didn't lay it on its side or all the way down, just at an angle to get it into the back of my truck and then off again. The problem is the freezer and fridge isn't getting cold. I believe its just room temp. It sounds like the compressor is coming on. Air is coming from the vent in the freezer and the fridge both are just air, nothing cold. The vent at the bottom outside of the fridge also has air blowing from it. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I unplugged the fridge, how long should I plug it back in to check the temp?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Give it about a half hour then get back to me.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The compressor is hot, but I can keep my hand on it.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok how about the fan beside the compressor is it blowing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes it is spinning smoothly and fast. Also so far I haven't heard any noises from the compressor.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok can you unplug the unit, On the side of the compressor you will see the relay, Take the wire retaining clip off (remember how it comes off) then pull the relay right off the side of the compressor, disconnect the wires from the relay (remember which wires go where) then once you have the relay in your hand shake it, Need to know if it rattles when you shake the relay like it has little pieces loose inside.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I have to take my son to school so probably be about an hour when I get back with you.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yep it is rattling.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
Ok Heather that is going to be your problem, the relay has fried and will need to be replaced.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

thanks I will get the part and if that doesn't work reply back with more questions!

Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.
It should fix the problem Heather :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.