Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a Sharp Microwave that had a square piece of cardboard

I have a Sharp Microwave that had a square piece of cardboard covering a "hole". This piece of cardboard has broken and won't stay in place. Is this dangerous?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

You need to replace that, it does direct microwaves into the oven. Its made of mica, its not actually cardboard. Taping will work for a little while but it really needs to be replaced, don't let it go long that way. And yes it can be dangerous.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Please do not forget to leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

should I use electrical tape?

Cindy you can use any tape....That part is called a wave guide. It will be okay for a little while but don't let it go long that way. It will eventually damage the oven, no more than a few days.