Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi. I am getting a "F dl" error code on my whirlpool duet

Customer Question

Hi. I am getting a "F dl" error code on my whirlpool duet washer. I know this means the door isn't locking. I can hear it trying to lock. Any advice on trying to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are correct about the error code "F dL" meaning that your door lock has failed. Whether you hear the lock trying to latch or not, the latch will need to be replaced to fix this problem. It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly. Below is a link to the latch assembly you'll need to order and replace for this model.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. But I'm afraid I don't see the link to the latch assembly that you mentioned.
Sorry, I was going to include a link to the latch but then I realized I didn't have a model number so I didn't. Can I get the model number and I can link the latch to you? The model would be located on a sticker just inside the door way.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
GHW94OOPTO is the model number. Does that look right? This washer is 8 years old. How long do these normally last?

Thanks again for your help.

Sue
That is the correct model yes. These units are designed for 12 years, but they can last much longer. At 12 years usually you'll start having a few smaller things fail such as this latch or maybe a water valve or something like that. Either way, below is a link to the latch assembly for your model.

CLICK HERE for latch assembly

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Now I'm getting an F11 and the door is stuck on lock. Is there any advice you can give me to get this unlocked. I need a shirt out of there for today. Thanks.
so F11 is worse error code, it means that your main CCU control board has failed and isn't communicating properly. If your door happens to be locked (this happens sometimes with this error), remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel.  The panel will then pull straight down and off.  Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly.  This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.