Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator that doesnt stay cold,

I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator that doesn't stay cold, what steps can I do to fix myself?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that i can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Also, are both the refrigerator and freezer sections warming up or just the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mod# XXXXX just the refrigerator!

OK so if just the refrigerator is too warm, you don't have a freon or compressor issue. The first thing you'll need to do is remove everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. Are the silver evaporator coils behind this panel packed with frost and is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the fan is running! but the coils are not packed with frost!

OK perfect. The coils are not supposed to be packed with frost. I just wanted to make sure you didn't have a defrost issue preventing the air from circulating properly. That being said, you have either a bad thermostat inside your refrigerator, or your damper assembly which opens and closes to allow air into the refrigerator from the freezer has failed and it isn't opening properly. Now the way to determine whether the thermostat is bad or the damper assembly is bad is simple. Just listen to the refrigerator for 24 hours or so. If it shuts off often like it thinks it has reached temperature, then you need to replace the thermostat. If the refrigerator continues to run all the time, you'd need to replace the damper assembly. The damper is the vent located in the far back left corner just below the ceiling of the refrigerator section. The damper is by far the more common part that fails so below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!