Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey, Appliance Doc, got a Kenmore Laundry

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey, Appliance Doc, got a Kenmore Laundry Center that goes dead but agitates. Doesn't drain. Makes a loud buzzing sound if you manually turn the dial but doesn't do anything until you get back to an agitate cycle. The lid switch clicks and sounds okay when you raise or lower the lid. This will be a real pain to work on. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you explain what you mean by "makes a loud buzzing sound if you manually turn the dial"? Is that noise only heard when you're trying to put the washer into spin/drain?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hmmn, well, that's what I was trying to do. The rinkydink dial isn't as easy to read as regular-sized washers and doesn't have easily distinguished places where it rinses, drains, etc. It has main settings like Permanent Press, Heavily Soiled, etc. So I moved it around about 15 times before the different OFF positions, of which there where quite a few, thinking I would get at least one drain/spin somewhere toward the end of one of those cycles. But nowhere could I get it to drain or spin, and it seemed like it only agitated in that one place for heavily soiled.

Hmm, so the transmission isn't locked up because it's agitating, the motor capacitor is good because it's agitating, and the start winding on the motor (whether in spin or wash) is working because it uses the same start winding regardless of whether the motor reverses direction or not. That means you really only have two possibilities---the timer is going bad, or the transmission is only locking up when the motor reverses. That isn't common at all, so I would suspect that the timer is bad. The lid switch would never cause a buzzing noise so even though that would stop drain and spin, it wouldn't cause this problem or only allow the wash in the one place for heavy soil. I would replace the timer.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.