Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Amana side by side freezer issues. overriding issues is

Customer Question

Amana side by side freezer issues.

overriding issues is the freezer and fridge do not get cold enough.
I pulled everything out, cleaned under the unit and here is what I have.

Compressor runs, fan at the back runs and the fan in the freezer runs. Coils in the freezer frost over but before the freezer can get nice and cold the heater comes on warms over the coils.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Also, do you actually see the heater turning on or does everything just shut off so that's why the coils thaw out and warm up?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Don't have the model number.

Pulled the back cover and seen the heater coil below the coils come on.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
OK so if the heater keeps turning on before the refrigerator cools down (this should only turn on at a maximum of once every 8 ours), then your defrost timer has failed and would need to be replaced. Now depending on your model you may have a defrost timer or an adaptive defrost control board (ADC).

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Replaced the timer, same issue.

Top coils start to frost over and freezer starts to cool down then after a couple of 2-3 hours the coils will have only a little bit of frost.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
OK then it doesn't sound like the defrost heater is turning on at all, it sounds like you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor if the coils aren't frosting from the to botXXX XXghtly and for that you'd need a technician to check the freon pressure to know what problem you have.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Heater for sure turns on.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
The only thing that would cause that is the ADC. But even before the ADC kicks on, the silver coils should be frosted from top to bottom. If that's not happening you have a bad compressor or a freon leak.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
sorry about the bad news.