Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I am getting just and "F" error code on my Whirlpool Cabrio

I am getting just and "F" error code on my Whirlpool Cabrio washer. I have searched the net and most are saying "join the class action suit." Great. But how can I get this thing working again?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

WHat is the model number and what F code are you getting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been searching for the manual, but can't find it. So...I don't know the model number. Am attaching a pic of the control board. The F code JUST says F with no number after. I have it going again so that I can take a pic for you of the code when it pops up again (I have been messing with this for about an hour). Thanks.

Control panel

It should flash the F then a number after it like 51 or 20 or something, also the model number will be to the right of the hinge when you lift up the lid, you may have to close the lid a little way as it may be blocked by the door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lid lock stays on for a while. I have to wait for it to beep at me, then it will give me the code and unlock the lid. Sorry - should have written this down before but didn't see a number after the F. It's doing its thing, so when it stops again, I'll get this info for you.

Okay I will be here, Have you tried unplugging the machine for 5 minutes to get the door to unlock?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I'll do that, but I may miss the error code. Let me give it a few mins.

No problem, I will be here for another 2 hours
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK the error code is F51. Waiting for the lid to unlock.

F51 is an RPS sensor error, let me have the model number as soon as possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unplugged it...waiting...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looking on the Net, there seemed to be a lot of people with this issue. I guess there's a class action suit going on. Do you get many problems with Cabrios?

(still waiting for unlock)

I have lots of them, I spend more time fixing Cabrio's than any other model of washer out there...

It is what keeps me in business....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wish I knew that before I bought the darn thing! Got great reviews! D'OH!

Model: WTW6800WW1

Ser: CY3870061

Type: 580

Is this what you need?

You are going to need to replace the sensor, you can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your washing machine.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

Here is also a video on changing it, however you can ignore the part on changing the wire harness as your model has the updated harness already..

Click here for a video on how to replace it.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much! After the repairs are done, you bet I'll come back and throw you a bone-us. :)
Thank you very much, good luck...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We installed the sensor this morning and are still getting the same error F51.

Can you check the continuity of the wiring up to the controller from the RPS sensor with an ohm meter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband is going to do that tonight when he gets home. He's an electrical engineer, so he knows how. I'll get back to you tomorrow unless there's something else I can do now.
Not much other, is the F51 coming up only in the drain and spin cycle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it starts very early in the cycle. It starts adding initial water and then stops for a while, then gives the error message.

How long does the water go in for before it starts the F51
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe 2-3 minutes, if that much. It's not enough to cover a towel.

Can you spin the tub easily by hand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Try grabbing the inner tub and jerking it up and down and see if it moves up and down like it is suppose to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it moves around well. The basket doesn't seem stuck.

Does the basket move at all during the fill cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No...the water starts coming in, then it stops for a few minutes. Then it fills a little more. Then the error code flashes.

No clunking at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. Not a clunk to be heard.

SOmething weird is happening here... The drum should start spinning while the water is going in, let me know what your husband finds when he checks the wiring tonight..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sure will. That's what I thought, too. But the inner tub seems to be sluggishness or getting stuck. I'll let you know what the great OHM meter says. :)

Sounds like a winner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK...I just went in to try to start a load again because I had messed with the inner tub. NOW it is spinning as the water adds, etc. So far, it is acting right. If the cycle finishes, that means that I must have dislodged some kind of tub jam. Which is good, but makes me want to beat my head against the wall for not doing it sooner. Argh.

Let see what happens
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hallelujah! One load is done and the next is well into its cycle. If the planets stay aligned, I think it's fixed!

Hopefully we won't see this problem again...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just went ahead and rated you again and paid the $38. Thank you so much for your help!!

Thank you so much, you made my DAY!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. I REALLY do appreciate your help. I did NOT want to have to deal with some repair person coming to my house.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey, check this out. You're almost-famous!

Did you write this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir!
You really made my day!!!! Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome! Thanks for making a happy ending to my story!
Thank you again, I sent the link to everybody I know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool! That helps me out, too! Thanks!
Enjoy the rest of this week and have a fun weekend also...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back at ya!