Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

MODEL: RT18BKXKQ00 SER: VSR1078653 2004 TEMP CONTROL

MODEL: RT18BKXKQ00
SER: VSR1078653
2004

TEMP CONTROL SOUNDS LIKE IT'S TURNING ON AND OFF. IT NOW JUST TURNED ITSELF COMPLETELY OFF. CLICKING NOISE HAS BEEN COMING FROM THERMO GAUGE FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS. NOISE NOT COMING FROM COMPRESSOR. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH PART I NEED TO REPLACE WITHOUT CALLING OUT A TECHNICIAN? PLEASE HELP. I'M PRETTY HANDY WITH FIXING THINGS IF I COULD DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Could you explain to me please what you are describing as a thermo gauge? Where is its location.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Freezer is above refrigerator. Thermostat sits on the roof of the refrigerator towards the front in the middle. I unplugged the fridge 5 minutes ago, and plugged it back in, and it started up again. I did this before to try to stop the "clicking" noise in the temp box -- which it did help for a while, then the fridge shut completely off tonight --.. Not sure where to go from here.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.

Understood. There is only one part on the whole refrigerator that can fail that way and that is the compressor relay. It is attached right to the compressor. You take a look and if you feel I have made a mistake let me know. I am not ashamed to admit i made a mistake. We all do. I put the instruction just below and I think I am correct.

I believe you need to replace the overload and relay set on the side of the compressor The compressor should be operating if the fans are. I have arrowed it below in the diagram. The part mounts on the side of the compressor and is held on by a retainer clip and cover.

graphic

To replace that part UNPLUG THE UNIT. Remove the retainer clip and cover and pull the part straight off. Have the new part in hand and remove the wires one at a time and place that wire on the new part one at a time so the wires do not get mixed up.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Please do not forget to leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will try this after I have received the part. I will order it tonight. I hope you're right! =) However, if I have any further questions regarding this same issue AFTER I put in the new part, in case this isn't the problem; may I contact you under this same charge or will I need to pay again?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.

No you will never pay again for this problem. You will always be able to contact me here. Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks and when you post I will see it.

Let me know how it goes, I want to know.

Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Great, you and your family take care. Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

=)