Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a refrigerator Whirlpool Gold made in 1999. The freezer

We have a refrigerator Whirlpool Gold made in 1999. The freezer is on top of the refrigerator. We know that the ice maker is not leaking and is not the problem. There is water dripping from the top back middle of the refrigerator that keeps dripping soaking everything in the refrigerator. Can you tell me what needs to be repaired and if we can do it ourself?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Your defrost drain is clogged. Instead of the water going down the defrost drain in the freezer its going through the freezer floor wherever it can and leaking into the fresh food section.

Remove the parts with the red arrows.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

The diagram may not be your model, if its not look in the fresh food section for the model sticker and I will get you an accurate diagram. This is the problem though.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Please do not forget to leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband said the model number is: 6T22DKX6W01 (he was not sure if the 6 are a G or a 6)

Thanks Cathy, give me a few minutes.

Barry

GT22DKXGB01 Smile,,,,Same intruction, different diagram just below.

In the freezer remove the screws in the panel with the blue arrows. That is the freezer floor.

Then remove the parts with the red arrows. That is the back wall and airflow duct.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic