Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Just noticed a puddle of water under my GE Prodigy Top Load

Just noticed a puddle of water under my GE Prodigy Top Load Washer...what to do?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hi was the water running into the machine without stopping?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I noticed the water puddle this morning, came home later and noticed that more water. Yes, I turned off the hot and cold faucets leading into the washer

Ok Edmund, had the washer been running or had it been a while since the washer had been used?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It may have been used early Friday morning. Did not notice the water until this morning.

Ok sounds to me like there is a leak on maybe the valve or the pump, best thing to do is to grab a putty knife, slide it in between the front panel and the top panel about 3 inches from each end.

Push the clip holding the front panel in place, you should be able to pull the front panel off. Next grab a flash light and check to see where the water is coming from, you may need to turn the water back on. If from the back (the valve) if from the front it could be the pump.

Unfortunately I cant just say it's coming from "here" you would need to take a look and trace the source.

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike...was able to open the front panel, did not see any evidence of water leaking... my suspicion is that we have a water leak in the wall behind the washer....see wet area on the outside wall too. Called our plumber who suggested turn-off main water and he is coming out on Monday morning...thanks for your assistance.

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any if you have additional questions :)