Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
69602385

Scotsman MDT4F Auger Question

I recently bought a Scotsman MDT4F. Seems the top bearing is bad. Was hoping to replace the top and bottom bearings and water seals and get back to production of ice. Auger looks great! Seems that Scotsman updated the top bearing recently. They want me to buy a new "kit" that replaces everything from top bearings to auger bit to water seals. It's almost $1k. They offer a breaker kit for under $500 but without the auger. Since my auger is in great shape, can I use it with the updated breaker kit? My model is must me an old one because I had the brass cap in the top of the condenser. But my auger seems to look the same as the new ones in the pictures. Thoughts?

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!
Scotsman redesigned the auger in 2010 and the parts are matched. Even though the auger may look similar, there are dimensional differences that will prevent it from working properly with the new bearings and seals. Only the bottom bearing and seal are compatible with the old auger.

Customer:

can you describe how they are difference dimensionally?

Customer:

sorry. different dimensionally

Appl-Tech :

No I do not have that information, the service bulletin just indicates that it was changed from the old one and the lower bearing and seal were the only parts that could be used with the old auger.
Did you order the new auger kit?

Customer:

not yet. didn't really want to pay ~$900 if I could get by for cheaper. What led to all this is the ice was coming out black. I determined that a seal was leaking bearing grease into the water and as the water sat stagnate overnight it took on the color of the grease. You got a lead on a cheaper price?

Appl-Tech :

I am not sure how you would order just the upper bearing and seal. You would need to get a model number off a newer machine than one you have now, and then try to look up the parts using the new model number. Then hope that the new bearing would fit on your old auger.
Do you have a part number for the kit?

Appl-Tech :

Download the service bulletin here. It is the 10th one down the list.
http://www.scotsman-ice.com/service-support/service-library/

Customer:

Breaker Kit

Part Number: 02-4575-21
Appl-Tech :

I have the number

Appl-Tech :

just read it off the bulletin, sorry

Customer:

I got that bulletin., thanks.

Appl-Tech :

02-4578-02

Customer:

So based on what you see in the bulletin, you think the old auger is not a wworkable option?

Appl-Tech :

I would say not

Customer:

That number you gave includes the auger. the one i gave is without

Appl-Tech :

where did you get that first number

Appl-Tech :

that part is not 900

Customer:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/breaker-kit-p-1068040.html

Appl-Tech :

One minute while I check something

Customer:

k

Appl-Tech :

It looks to me that the part number you have is for an upgraded unit.
When I look up you model, it says the upper bearing is not available for purchase.
http://www.nt-ice.com/product.php?product=112070&parts_list=791
Item #3

Customer:

yes. I saw that earlier. I found a complete replacement kit with auger for 714. that may be my best bet

Appl-Tech :

Do you see what I mean?

Customer:

yes.

Appl-Tech :

If you could use the old auger, they would not make you buy a new one.
I think personally, it a way to keep the parts business flowing, if you know what I mean.

Appl-Tech :

Once you get the new one, you will probably be able to see what they changed.

Customer:

yep. flowing out of my pocket into theirs. ha

Appl-Tech :

I think $747 is going to be the best price. That is my dealer cost on that part. I would go for it and be done with it.

Appl-Tech :

$714 I mean

Customer:

thanks. i will. appreciate the help

Appl-Tech :

Where did you get that price.

Appl-Tech :

No problem, glad to help you out

Customer:

http://www.smarticewarehouse.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=19

Customer:

stumbled across that site while chatting with you

Appl-Tech :

Thanks for the info! I am always looking to get better pricing

If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today?
You may continue to ask me any follow-up questions after rating my help by hitting the "Save & Exit" Button. I will be notified by email of your request should you still need my help.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out with your question.

Customer:

sure will. when part comes in I'll shoot you a reply describing part difference.

Appl-Tech :

That would be great

Appl-Tech :

thanks