Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

In September 2013, we purchased a Maytag MGT8775xs gas range

In September 2013, we purchased a Maytag MGT8775xs gas range with a double oven. After I use the top oven, and it cools down for a couple of hours, I can catch a smell of gas in the oven. I have used the bottom oven, and I do not smell gas at all after I use it and it cools down. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If there is any gas leak at all, it would be your oven gas safety valve that would need to be replaced because it's not sealing off completely after the oven is in use. You'll need to call warranty out to check for a gas leak so they can make sure there is a gas leak or not, but if you smell gas hours later and it's only in the top oven, you have a bad oven gas safety valve that will need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I not use the top oven then? Would it be ok to use the bottom one?

If there is a gas leak, it's honestly not safe to use the oven at all and you should just turn the gas off to the oven at your house to stop it from leaking until you can get someone out to locate the leak and fix the issue.