Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a brand new Kitchen Aid wall oven. Doing a kitchen

I have a brand new Kitchen Aid wall oven. Doing a kitchen remodel and had to take the oven door off. In doing so, the right door hinge snapped into the "closed" position. We cannot get it to the open position to rehang the door. Pulling on it does nothing. There must be a spring or latch release. Any suggestion?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Depending on the exact model, you will need to lock the hinge out but there are 2 ways that Kitchen Aid locks their hinges out. Either way, you will need to lay the oven door down on a rug face down. The hinge MUST be forced open so that you can lock the hinge out. If you open the hinge all the way up up all the way there is either a flip up locking tab on each hinge that you can rotate upwards so that the hinge locks out, or there will be a tiny hole that appears at the joint of the hinge which you can stick a small screw through to lock the hinge out. Then you can re-install the door, open the door all the way, and unlock the hinge so that you can shut the door again.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can give you the model number if that helps. KEMS309BSS.

Unfortunately it doesn't show a picture of the hinge so I can't tell you if it locks out by exposing a screw or if there is a flip up tab, but it should be fairly obvious once you force the hinge open all the way if a small hole appears right by the pivot or if you see a little metal flap you can pry up with a flat head screwdriver to lock the hinge and stop it from closing.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.