Home Improvement Jay
Home Improvement Jay, Technician
Experience:  Technician and sales representative

why is it so hard to push?

why is it so hard to push?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Home Improvement Jay replied 5 months ago.
What are you trying to push?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

vacuuming carpet. takes a lot of muscle to push the vacuum forward on the carpeting. Have even tried the low setting, which should be for small rugs. Still hard to move the vacuum.

What is the make and model number of your vacuum?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hoover Platinum lightweight bagged upright Model UH30010

What type of carpeting do you have? Is it a thick shag or low cut smooth?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

very short cut shag--almost smooth

Thank you for the additional information.

I believe that the issue is related to the fact that you have a shag carpet. Even though it is a low cut shag, it still will result in a drag on the vacuum that you will need to push through.

This vacuum does not have a manual adjustment that you can set the rollers higher or lower depending upon the floor type. It is advertised as having a self adjustment, but that is not going to reduce the drag in a shag carpet. I read a few reviews on Amazon.com and other people have posted reviews stating the same that the floor height adjustment is ineffective and they too have noticed that it is harder to push on a shag compared to a smooth floor.

I do not believe there is anything that you can do different to make the vacuum move easier because the issue is more with the carpet in your residence. This is a good vacuum for the money, but does not appear to be provide the ease of use you desire. One option would be to purchase a vacuum the is self propelled to help out with ease of use.

I hope this helps and feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.
Home Improvement Jay, Technician
Experience: Technician and sales representative