Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

How do I replace the pulley motor from my Maytag washer model

Customer Question

How do I replace the pulley motor from my Maytag washer model #LA209 without having to go inside the machine. If you go to the following site you'll see a section called "Clutch, Brake & Belts". http://www.maytag.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%20LA209.pdf
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you tip the machine back against the wall, the motor pulley is exposed under the machine without any disassembly. However, it is easier to remove the front panel or the lower lip will be in the way. Once you have access to the pulley, you will have to remove the belts. Then, you will see an Allen set screw in the pulley groove. Once that set screw is removed, you will be able to pull the pulley free from the motor shaft.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying I have to go inside the machine and remove the motor?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, not at all. If you remove the two screws from the bottom of the front panel and take that panel off, you can then lean the machine back and easily get to the motor pulley right from the bottom of the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said but the motor does not slide off after removing the set screw.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The pulley is what slides off, just the part that the belts go around. They can be difficult to get off, you may need to use a bit of force.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How would you force it off?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You may need a pulley remover or you can use a hammer to tap the pulley. Be careful you don't damage it, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks for the help!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I want to ask you a new question.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
You bet, but you will need to start a new thread and just put "For Kelly only" in the first line.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

"For Kelly only"

My Maytag top-load washer #LA209 loads water then stalls making a noise and won't agitate. I gently pull on the pump belt in the direction of the motor and the machine agitates. Then when it gets to the rinse cycle same problem. I have a new pulley motor and new belts. The pump belt seems a bit loose. How can I get the machine to go thru all cycles without stalling?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Your capacitor is faulty and available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Capacitor <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm a little confused. How do I pay you for this answer. I don't want to be on any monthly plan.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
All you have to do is rate positive again, it won't sign you up for a plan. Once you rate, I can send the question in so they can double check that you are not, too.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will they let me set the amount I want to pay for your answer?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Well, you already have that set, but there is an option to add after you rate or you can email them to reduce it.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Where is the capacitor located in the machine?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
It is either in the motor area or in the timer console area.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I ordered the part you suggested and it arrived today. The problem is I don't know where it's located. The following link has Maytag LA209 parts listed https://www.maytag.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%20LA209S.pdf.

In section CBNT, WATER, INJ 7 VALVE, HOSES &FRTP, capacitor, capacitor kit, and clip capacitor are listed but I can't find them in the picture.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Follow the motor wires up to the timer. It has to be in line with them somewhere.