Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hi Brian Darren I have l question for you on a stack washer

hi Brian Darren I have l question for you on a stack washer and dryer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today.Good morning Darren. how long did this try to run before the motor burned out ? your sure its the motor ? the motor has an overload that's supposed to trip before the motor fries it didn't kick off ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

no the motor brian started smelling like an electrical burn not a rubber burn from belts or anything tub was free and motor was free from any jams also. and the motor was to hot to touch. This exact same thing happened to me before on the same type maytag stack washer and dryer but this one the motor caught fire and I was just working on the dryer part that had the blower wheel seized on it never touched the washer end and the motor overheated and caught fire. With this machine we are talking about now all I did was change the fuse then the washer repowered I then removed the front of the dryer to vacume it out bryan and was very careful vacuuming and putting front face of dryer back on. Dryer worked fine afterwards and I ran the washer in a wash cycle then while it was running I was doing paperwork you know and customer smelled burning then right away I knew it was the motor because the same exact thing happened to me before with the same model machine. same exact motor and fuse location on side of cabinet. I'm just not sure Bryan if this is just a coincidence and both motors just went bad or there is something I am not doing after I change the fuse or open the dryer front to prevent the motor from burning out. Have you ever heard of this happening from these older type stackable models ??

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
mmmm, Wow that's strange. Its possible the motor was going and caused the fuse to blow, the fuse is there in case something does fry. its supposed to go so there wont be a fire, try removing the belts and put the washer is spin (without belts) see if the motor even starts, It may not if this did burn up. now if the motor does start and run without the belts on you may have a bad start capacitor. Capacitor Y200832         Main Product View try changing that. unfortunately these take a boost to start when everything is on like the belts. these start capacitors do go and that could be the issue but if the motor is damaged now that may not even work, I have had to replace these motors in the past. I always try the start capacitor first however. your sure the transmission isn't locked up ? try both ways. Agitate and spin. turn the pulley and make sure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

when I took the front off bryan and felt how hot the motor was and the plastic on top of it was so hot it was plyable. I did grab the drain pump belt from under the front and I was able to spin that and the motor when I moved the belt so I didn't feel anything had seized at that point. so from your experience do you feel that the only thing that could have caused the motor to overheat and smoke in both my situations could have mostly been caused by either a bad capacitor or a seized mechanical component. ??? Because I was really careful taking things apart and putting them back together Bryan I am really mechanically inclined and this happenening twice in a row really baffled me and I felt I was missing a procedure and It was my fault both times here you know. When I come across these older maytag stacks again in the near future with similar symptoms should I always just check the capacitor in the washer as a standard check you think Brian ??

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
well its been my experience that these motors do fail and so with that said I would explain to the customer that the fuses blow for a reason and in his case the motor was the issue and it needs to be replaced along with the start capacitor ( I always replace both) this one is not your fault and the fuse blew because the motor is bad. I would carry one of those capacitors on you truck and try replacing it before the motor to see if it takes care of the issue. its common for those to fail after so many years. PS I see this with the whirlpool direct drives also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

like the sears Kenmore 80 series washers

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
Yes those too. A weak capacitor can burn up the start windings in the motor. Not all motors have them however, But the ones that do really depend on them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

thanks for the chat brian Your a meat and potatoes kind of guy and your professional and technical help has been an asset to me. Its always a pleasure to ask your professional help and thanks so much again . I feel much more at ease about the situation now. I will be sure to leave you a good rating as usual with a tip

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 months ago.
Thank You Darren, believe me we've all been there don't feel bad. have a great day ! thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.