Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE gas oven/stovetop. The Right rear burner will not

I have a GE gas oven/stovetop. The Right rear burner will not light even though the gas port to the spark igniter is clean and the igniter produces a sparker. When lit manually the flame is inconsistent and sputters. Also the oven will not light. I have returned from vacation to find this situation and the unit was functioning when I left.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

JGBP40BEH2WH

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
OK so this is a very simple oven which makes this repair fairly straight forward. You definitely don't have a spark or ignition problem because you said you see the spark consistently when it's trying to light and when you light it manually the flame doesn't look right. That means your gas isn't flowing properly for one reason or another.

First, make sure the burner base is completely clean. If so, then remove all the burner bases and remove the screws going into the top panel under the burner base so that you can remove the top panel . The gas line between the right right burner and the gas valve will need to be removed. Sometimes spiders will form spider webs inside these tubes if they sit without gas in them for long enough. Use a pipe cleaner or compressed air and blow through these lines to make sure they are completely clean. Other than that, re-assemble the burner and make sure the burner cap is sitting properly on top of the burner base. If you still continue to have problems, the valve itself would need to be replaced which is the part that the knob attaches to and turns to allow gas to flow to the burner.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What about the Oven not igniting?

I noticed the broil ignition coil heat up properly and light the broiler gas line with not problem. However the Oven ignition coil doesn't light up and the burner does not ignite?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
That is something completely different. It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced.  Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing.  They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it.  Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. 
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

What are the part numbers for the burner valve and line if they need replacing? Is this a simple threaded connection or will brazing need to be involved during reassembly of the gas line?

What is the part number for the oven ignition coil that will need to be replaced?

I need a link to an electronic copy of the manual (preferably service manual) so that I can complete this repair myself.

Why would both of these parts fail while not in use while I was on vacation and they were functioning fine on day prior to me leaving?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
The gas lines are just threaded on but there shouldn't be a reason to ever replace the gas line unless you break it, the valve on the other hand is a different story. There is no service manual for this unit because you need to be authorized to view the manuals on file which I can do, but I can not share the password XXXXX you I'm afraid since it's my personal identification with GE. The part number for the bake igniter is wb2x9154 and the part number for the valve is wb21k10083. The igniter likely failed while on vacation but it was probably getting weak before that. Just sitting for a while can cause it to become more brittle and not pull as many amps anymore or even possibly crack. The cooktop burner is likely just a cleaning issue so I wouldn't expect you need to replace the valve, but if it did fail then that would definitely be a strange coincidence because that does not go bad by not being used. The bake igniter is mounted below the floor so the floor inside the oven would need to be removed to access the igniter and then the oven will need to be pulled out so that you can remove the back panel so that you can cut the wires going to the igniter so that you can splice in the new igniter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can you post step by step instructions (including pictures/illustrations) on how to replace the oven ignition unit?

Where can I order these parts?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
I can not unfortunately. If you need that kind of support, you're going to need to call a technician out because there are no pictorial illustrations on how to do this repair. I can help you diagnose the problem and I can give you an overview of what needs to be done which I've already done, but because GE doesn't make their service manuals available to the individual, you'd need to call a technician out to do the repair for you if you're not handy enough to do the repair yourself.

You can order parts from Repairclinic.com

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.