Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a gas range made in 2010 the top burners work fine but

I have a gas range made in 2010 the top burners work fine but the oven will not work at all - is it worth getting service or should I look to buying a new one?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you happen to have a model number so that I can better assist you and see what might be the cause? I would think that with the unit being only 3 years old it's definitely worth fixing, but if you have a model number I can tell you what the possible culprits are and how to test if you have the ability to do so. The model should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer/panel below the door if there is one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no model # XXXXX site - it would be an entry model - I've seen similar units for $500 - do you make service calls?

I do make service calls but only in Colorado since I'm out of colorado. That being said, I can explain what is going on with the oven since you've given me the age and let me know it's a basic model. These units have a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valves coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve. This board also serves other functions like sends out the actual spark to light all the burners and cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. If the system is working properly the bake and the broil will click three times when you turn the oven on. If you only hear one or two clicks, you have a bad DSI board or a bad gas valve. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. You should get a reading of approximately 215 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

If you need a DSI board, it would likely cost about $300 and if you needed a gas valve it would cost about $250 with parts, trip, and labor. It's not the cheapest issue to fix, but it's still cheaper than a new unit and the unit is quite new yet.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!