Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Display on my GE Cafe micro wave went out after a static shock.

Display on my GE Cafe micro wave went out after a static shock. Buttons still work, as they beep, and got the microwave to run. The display/buttons just don't illuminate.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If the display will not return after a 15 minute period with the unit unplugged, the display board was damaged and will need to be replaced. That part is available below. Try the 15 minute power down first, though. Hopefully, it will reset. Let me know what happens.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Display Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The 15 minute unplug did not work. The time display comes on until I touch the pad. I looked at some reviews on this on the GE site and this seems to be a very common problem.

Unless you think the new panel is better quality; at $514 for the panel and people saying they keep seeing the same problem it does not seem like a good idea to fix it.

Now I have to find a better quality microwave.

I would not repair it if I was making the decision, no. Unless it was a match to all the other appliances and I really liked it, I would replace it with a Kitchen Aid model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly,

I found scratched new one on ebay for $100 so I bought it. Can you tell me how to do the R&R? Can I replace the panel without taking the microwave down?

thanks, Jeff

Great find! If you remove the grille from above the door, you will expose a screw at the top of the control. Once removed, the panel should lift up slightly and then hinge forward, allowing access to the components inside.