Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Fisher Paykel Washing Machine. Model GWL11 which

Customer Question

I have a Fisher Paykel Washing Machine. Model GWL11 which was purchased in 2006. We have a big double cement sink next to it where the water drains into. My husband has been cleaning his painting brushes in the 2nd basin. Unfortunately, it backed up the drain and the water somehow backed into the washer. Now there is paint sludge throughout the washer parts, especially the holes in the drum and outer plastic liner. We've tried a couple of hot water washes with vinegar and still the holes are plugged and inside smel;s like paint. UGG!
The removal of the metal drum in this older EcoSmart possible?
We were thinking of using a spray paint stripper into the holes.
Or should we go buy a new washer?
Don't really want to call a repair person that will charge alot and the results are to buy a new one!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you'll want to remove the inner basket and maybe use a pressure washer or toothbrush maybe paint stripper to see if you can clean the unit out. To remove the inner basket, here is what you need to do.

1. Unplug the washer.
2. lift the lid at a 45 degree angle and just yank on the lid and it will pull off.
3. Use a knife and pry the plastic caps off in the front right and left corners of top washer frame.
4. Remove the screws below the caps and the top panel will hinge up and backwards.
5. Unclip the top splash ring around the outer ring of the outer plastic tub and pull the splash ring off.
6. Remove the center cap on the wash cap which will either unscrew off or you can pry the cap off with a knife again depending on the style..

7. Remove the bolt under the cap.
8. now just lift up and pull the inner basket out of the washer to clean it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Step 6, the wash cap? Is that located on the center of the stainless steel tub, has 4 rivets? I want to remove the stainless steel tub

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm talking about the agitator. The cap of the agitator needs to be pulled off and then the nut below it removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've gotten past the agitator and the splash guard. Is it possible to remove the steel tub?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes. The inner basket just pulls straight up and out once the agitator is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my husband has tried that, it does not

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It does, but it very will could be stuck. It may require a lot of help and multiple people to pull up on the tub while you hit the center shaft down with a hammer and wood block---but there is nothing else that haold the inner basket in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, we will get our neighbor to help. may I log back on later, if I still have an issue with it? And oops, it's a 2004, not 2006 version.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can ask follow-up questions later if you need. But if you can't pull the basket off, I would suggest calling a technician out because there is nothing more to remove if the agitator and splash ring have already been removed. It's only getting stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We're ditching it, bought a new one today.

the paint is imbedded in the steel drum holes and along side the plastic drum barrier.

Now my question is, what about the double sink that backed up, now fixed...is there a better set up?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ick, I'm sorry to hear that. As far as a better set up, the better set up would be to have a stand pipe specifically for the washer. But if that's not a possibility or it's too expensive to justify getting a plumber out to install a stand pipe, then putting the drain hose into the sink is really the only option, but I would make sure the drain hose raises up to a point above the washer tub before going down into the sink to reduce the chance of backflow into the washer if the sink backs up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you! I will ask the washer delivery people tomorrow about that!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem and good luck to you!