Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Have Maytag Neptune Electric Dryer Model MDE5500AYW. A couple

Customer Question

Have Maytag Neptune Electric Dryer Model MDE5500AYW. A couple days ago it wouldn't come on......flipped breaker on and off (even though it didn't flip off) and it read PF (obviously power failure) and it worked fine for about 3 days.
Yesterday it wouldn't heat but control lights worked fine.
Today absolutely nothing.....no control lights, no power at all, totally dead.
Tried changing the breaker to new one but still nothing.
Any advice for a novice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 33 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 50,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter to test for voltage at the rear of the unit where the cord attaches to the unit ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No I don't have a Volt OHM meter,,,have a Multi Meter, will that work to test it? If it will it will be about 1/2 hour before I can do it as I have to run a quick errand first

A volt -ohm meter is a MULTI meter it will work fine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Again will try in about a 1/2 hour.....have to take off for a few then will see if there's anything there.

No problem
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I just wrote out a long thing about this tester as I have no clue what I'm doing and I told you the numbers and colors on it and now I can;t find all the stuff I wrote. Hopefully you know what the numbers are around the dial and some have white behind the numbers (upper portion mostly) and some have white behind it.

Bottom ports from red & green wires have MAX 10A/250V on left side and on right side it has MAX 600V 250mA/250V.

How do I test the 3 wires on the dryer with 2 wires from the testor.

Which side takes the red wire and which takes the black wire? AND do I unplug the dryer or take the chance that I get a really good SHOCK? If you don't ever hear back from me PLEASE don't charge my account as it means I'm dead on the basement concrete floor.

If it helps you answer my ???'s this is a Commercial Electric tester MAS830B

Also, there's a green button towards the top that says HOLD and two small spots around the dial that are red without #'s.....

OBVIOUSLY I have NO idea what I'm doing so HELP w/ really good directions.

set the meter on 240 volts A/C

On the dryer test the red wire to the White wire looking for 120 volts A/C

And then the Black wire to the white wire looking for 120 volts A/C

Then test the Red to the Black wire looking for 240 volts A/C

does not matter which of the two meter leads you test to which wire you are testing A/C altrernating current

Just make sure the HOLD fuction is not turned on !

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Meter doesn't have an option on the dial for 240AC ????? The only place I have an option for 240AC is on the spots where you can chose 240 V is on bottom where u plug in red & black wires so now I'm really confused.....................

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Shall I assume you leave dryer plugged in too?

ok I had to pull up a picture of the meter set it at the 1 o`clock postion 600 v setting

Yes to test for voltage to the dryer it needs to be plugged in to the outlet .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Where do I put red & black wires on bottom?

the center and the right holes

this may help too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-iqwJRokk

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'll try the site but which color goes in center? Then I'll know what goes on the right.

as stated before it does not matter ,with a/C voltage.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Just bought this meter today......as far as the dryer was concerned got no readings on anything! GOOD news is I'm still ALIVE.....is there anything else in my house you can tell me how to test to find out if it's working OK?

Need to know what to set it on also if there's something else I can test on in the house. Assume I leave black lead in middle and red on right side still.

If not I'll have to take it to Home Depot and have them check it.

AND if the dryer is not reading ANYTHING.....is there any hope?

sure just test a regular outlet looking for 120 volts.

Yes leave the meter leads where they are at !

if the dryer has no voltage ,check the breakers in the circuit breaker panel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Put new breakers in today but don't know if they're in right.....going to get help testing those in the morning.....not THAT brave so have to get back to you in the morning.....

no problem I will be on tomorrow
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Email you around noon when I get every thing checked out ! Have a good night

no problem
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sent you a message from your site and now sending one from your last response on my email.......did you get the other one I sent or do I need to re-write it from here?

Did not receive anything since last night ! only this one you sent 5 min ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Didn't know anything until now and told you I wouldn't know anything until around Noon today. You can't answer my questions today? Thought you said it would be no problem last night if I got back with you today but now it sound like you're signing me off??????

Im not signing off anything all I did was just reply to your message of

((Sent you a message from your site and now sending one from your last response on my email.......did you get the other one I sent or do I need to re-write it from here?))

I have done nothing to your post I have not even opened it till you posted and it automaticall pops up for me to answer!1

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What I posted was that new breaker checks out fine......then went to check the plug for the dryer and since it had to be opened up to check it found that there were burnt wires in it so replaced that.

Now dryer is running but NO HEAT. What next????? Please don't answer laundry mat !!!!

Did you check to see if you hade the 240 volts to the dryer where the cord attaches to the dryer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes and since putting new outlet on it checks out fine.....as I said everything electric wise is checking out fine.

Yes I know what you said but I need to make sure so we do not misss something!

What setting do you have the dryer set on , when not getting any heat?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

On both sensor & timed have it on regular dry. On timed there is no other setting....on sensor have it on the highest dry setting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Have to take off for an hour to go dry my clothes.....hopefully you'll have some ideas when I get back

ok You will need to check voltage to the heating element and to the high limit and cycling thermostats .

If either thermostat is good the heater will not get 240 volts for it to heat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I looked up on how to check heating element & thermostats but don't know and can't find anything online about how to get to them

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Also, FYI, I tried to download the manual for the dryer and Google said that the download was a major threat to the security of my computer so decided it wasn't worth it. Don't need that and the dryer killed at the same time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Also, found out that the reason the electrical box had the wires all burned up was because the electrician I had re-wire this house when I moved in put a 40 Amp breaker in for the dryer. Obviously the electrician doesn't know shit about electrical as well as my friend that replaced it for me yesterday as it was replaced with the same since he doesn't know anything about it either. Replacing that to a 30 Amp tomorrow morning.

I could tell my Dad (who knows a lot about this stuff) was about s....ing his pants when I told him about it tonight. He also flipped yesterday when he found out my friend was changing it without a tester....which is why I bought one yesterday.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No response from the question regarding access the element & thermostats?

I`m NOT on this site 24 hours a day !!

Here is how to get to the heater and thermostats ,by removing the dryer front panel !

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

First....I didn't think that you were available 24/7.

You sent a message @4:15 yesterday stating I needed to run tester on the htg. element and the thermostats, stating that if the thermostats checked out OK, the htg. element would't work .....after spending an hour + on the internet I found out what everything looked like, that all would have to check out OK and if something didn't check out it would have to be replaced. @5:41 I sent you back a message that I new how to check everything but couldn't find out where these things were on my dryer.

By last night I had already found what I was asking for on You Tube. The major thing I needed to know is if the drum and everything had to be pulled to get the heating element or thermostats.

Ends up that since I found out they didn't, I took the door off myself and started searching. Ends up that the wire from the thermostat to the heating coil was burned up and therefore not connected. I'm sure that was due to the 40 Amp breaker that burned up the box that the dryer plugged into.

Replaced the 40 Amp with a 30 Amp, replaced the burnt wire and everything is working fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Woody,

You have asked me a couple times to rate you on this thing but can't find where to do this.......clicked on something about my experience but got nothing so please advise where to do that.

Thanks

It should be right on the post where I sent you an answer post like this on I will try it again ,sorry for the hassle ,glad you got it up and running .

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Woody,

Found the site to fill out the feedback on you and gave you an A+ rating.

Thanks for putting up with me!

Bobbie

Also, tried to apply for a position for a Master Plumber but seems to be no site for it and the place to ask for a site was not available right now.

Bobbie it was no problem helping you , Try the site later on ,and yes the catigory is just Plumbing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Woody

I'll go back in and try it

Thanks again for ALL your help!!!!

You are a VERY patient man......Have a great day !!!!!!

Bobbie

You too Bobbie ,Have a good weekend !