Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a whirlpool refrigerator/freezer. The freezer is

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool refrigerator/freezer.

The freezer is maintaining temperature and making ice, so I believe that it is working properly.

However the refrigerator is not.

It fluctuates between 40-45 degrees.

Any idea what it could be?

Model: G9RXXFMWS00
Serial: EY2902918
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have heard the fan inside the freezer, so I believe it is kicking on when necessary.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you! Any frost on that back wall?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sorry... forgot to answer that. I don't believe so.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, but the freezer is in good shape temperature wise?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it is making ice, so I think thats a good sign.

We did a renovation in that area of the house a few months ago and it was quite dusty. Perhaps that may have something to do with it?

The refrigerator was allowed to run throughout the work.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
It may be but the freezer would be showing trouble then, too. Where your controls are, the RH knob, turn it all the way down and then feel the air coming from the part numbered 21 below. Then, turn the RH control all the way up. Do you notice any air flow difference?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I turned it down to 5 and felt no air flow. When I put it to 1 I felt a little bit of air flowing.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so that is how it should be. That control is just an air baffle between the top and bottom sections. The top section produces the cooling and the fan blows it down below. That control decides how much air goes into the refrigerator section. Typically, the RH control should not be higher than 2 at any time, under normal circumstances. The LH control should be on about 2 1/2 - 3, depending on how you like your fresh food chilled. I would set the controls at 3 and 1 and see how the fresh food temp does overnight. I suspect you will have perfect temperatures by morning!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. thank you.

these controls seem somewhat counterintuitive.

how is one supposed to know that lowering the RH (freezer) temp will raise the temp in the refrigerator?

I wonder how many people have had to contact someone regarding this only to find out they need to lower the freezers temp setting.

Let's see if this does that trick!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
It is a common misunderstanding of the control system. I wish they would do away with the air balance setting because rarely does it need to be adjusted.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I own a duplex (live in one unit, rent the other) and the fridge is in the tenants apartment. I told them to let me know how the temperature is and I haven't heard anything so I would think thats a good thing.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
No news is goos news, they say! Let me know if things change!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so I'm not why the tenants waited 10 days, but they just texted me and said that its still hovering around 40 degrees...

Any other ideas?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
It has to be air flow related if the temperature in the freezer is still good. The air vents may be blocked if they have the freezer packed. Have you seen how much food they have in there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok I will check that out tomorrow.

thank you.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!