Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a 50s Okeefe and Merritt stove. The last time I used

We have a 50's Okeefe and Merritt stove. The last time I used the broiler, I heard a pop and the burner went off. I pushed the red reset button but it won't stay in. I held it in and the burner fired up. But it won't keep working. The pilot is on.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You should need to continue holding in the red button on your oven safety valve for about 60 seconds after the pilot is lit. If you let go of it and the pilot turns off, your safety valve will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. Now this is quite an old unit so you would need to speak with an antiques oven repair place to hopefully find a replacement part or refurbish the valve if needed.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tyler,

The pilot isn't the problem. It's working fine, as I said. It's the burner that won't stay on. Does the 60 second rule apply to the burner as well?

Steve

So that red button is used to bypass the safety valve. The problem is that the valve isn't sensing the pilot is lit. Whether the pilot works or not, the oven won't allow the burner too turn on if the safety valve isn't working properly. So yes, this is the same issue whether the pilot light or the burner isn't working right.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I understand. Thanks Tyler.

No problem and I wish you only the best.