Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi, I have a GE cafe electric range C S980S and one the

I have a GE cafe electric range C S980S and one the indicator lights for the right front and rear burner is no longer lighting. The burners turn on and heat fine. The cooktop indicators work, but the small red light on the front of the control panel is out. The range is out of warranty, so if this is easy to fix I'd like to replace myself. Any ideas on which module is defective? How is the back of the control panel accessed.

Thanks,
Marty
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the light on the front of the control panel isn't illuminating, you either have a bad LED light, or the burner switch isn't sending power to the indicator light to illuminate. If you test power between the two wires going to the light when the burner is turned on, you should have 120 volts. If not, then the burner switch would need to be replaced. If you are getting 120 volts but the light doesn't turn on, the indicator light would need to be replaced. The indicator light is by far the more likely part that fails and it costs about $4. The part number you'd need to replace for the light is wb25k10010.

To get inside the control panel to access, just pull the oven forward and unplug it. Then remove the screws coming in from the back of the control panel and the back sheet metal panel will pull off so that you can access inside the panel.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!