John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kenmore 795.79004.901 refrigerator that seems to be

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore 795.79004.901 refrigerator that seems to be having a problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the fridge problem .
What kind of problems are you having please .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the refrigerator seems to be not working. freezer seems fine. control is showing 6&7 lit but no lights on fridge side of control

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
you hear the fan motor in the freezer going and how about the fan motor by the compressor .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I feel cold air coming from both vents in the back of the unit

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Open the freezer door and reach in to the back panel in the freezer and tell me if you can feel frost on that panel please .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes.. frosty and a bit icy on the back panel

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Is it frosted up on the whole panel or just at the bottom?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

frost from the bottom to above the upper freezer rack

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Ok, the problem is a no defrost , the most common part to fail is the defrost thermostat clamped to the top of the freezer coils, do you have a meter to check that part ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have a multimeter. What do I need to do to check it

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
This defrost thermostat is hard to check , I would check the defrost heater at the bottom of the freezer coils, If that heater is ok then you can replace the defrost thermostat .Defrost Thermostat 6615JB2005C Main Product View
The part number is XXXXX and the price at Sears is $12.30.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how do i check the defrost heater? Is there any way to reset the defrost mechanism through the control board in back?

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
You cant check the main board on that model, to check the defrost heater unplug the fridge then remove the freezer panel , you will see two wires on the defrost heater remove the wires from the heater and check for continuity at the element. If no continuity replace the heater . if continuity at the element replace the defrost thermostat .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is the freezer panel to remove the back panel or inside the freezer itself?

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.
Its the panel inside the freezer , the one you see frosted up .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i replaced the part you showed me, 6615jb2005c, The same issue happened again. What do I check next?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Relist: I have a Kenmore bottom freezer 795.79004.901. freezer is cold, fridge is warm. I already replaced the defrost thermostat and the problem came back. Also, lights 6&7 on the freezer side of the control panel are lit, nothing lit on fridge side and nothing can be changed on the control panel. HELP!!!!!

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, etc.

If the part you replaced did not fix the issue, you will need to go back to the cooling coil again. You will need to defrost the coil. Next take you volt meter again set to continuity, and test the wires coming from the black calrod heater under the cooling coil. If the heater does not have continuity, then it is bad. If has continuity, then it is good. If heater checks good, then you will have to replace the main control board. The heater comes with a new cooling coil. You would need a technician to replace this for you. If the heater was not bad, then replace the control board. Pull the fridge out, and remove small cover on back of unit after unplugging the fridge, replace board. The part# is EBR41531310 around $150. The cooling coil/heater is part # 5421JJ1001A, about $100. Please give me a great rating if this information has assisted you. If not, please respond back for more information....Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Thanks. Heater element has continuity so I'm leaning towards the control board. The evaporator fan was running when I plugged it in so I assume that is not the problem either. Just wondering about the defrost timer, or if there is one on my model and should that be checked before i spend more money on a part that isn't broken

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
before i replace the control board should i check the defrost timer?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.
The check that Jason is asking you to make is the control board check,,,it has the defrost timer on it. Please dont forget to give Jason a good rating.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok. so the timer is built into the control board, is that correctt? Not a separate unit

Yes that is correct. Its on the board.

Barry
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, it was night time when you responded back in my time zone. You can get the board at repairclinic.com. If the board does not repair the issue, I believe they have a return policy for control boards.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/EBR41531310/1596322

I cannot remember if this model had another sensor attached to the cooling coil, or not. But, if so, you will want to replace that with the control board as well. You can rate me a great rating if I was able to assist you. I am not stealing this question from Barry, just wanted to respond back to your question to me. Thank you. You are in good hands with Barry...Good luck with you question