Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi Zack - Just wanted to ask another question. We did the four

Customer Question

Hi Zack - Just wanted to ask another question. We did the four cup up on the top rack test you recommend for a full normal wash cycle. The cups were full to the brim. Does this mean that I might not have to replace the pump? Just seems there is enough pressure to get it up to the top, but not enough to get dishes clean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

That is correct, your pump is fine and your filters are not clogged if the cups are filling up with water. That means you either have a detergent problem or your dishwasher isn't heating. Make sure the dishwasher is hot and steamy at the end of the cycle when you use the heated dry option and if so, its either a stacking issue with the dishes or just a detergent issue.

If the glasses get cloudy, you'll need to scrub them clean by hand with hot water and vinegar because the dishwasher can't get the film off the glasses once the film is baked and dried onto the glasses. That being said, this is actually a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Finish Power Boost" (blue bottle with a red cap) which you add to your detergent.  In addition to that, be sure to use Jet Dry Turbo (not just normal Jet Dry) as your rinse agent.  About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. 
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Zack - the saga continues! so I ran the cycle and it's definitely not hot. I opened halfway through & it was slightly warm then opened at the end and it wasn't even slightly warm at all. Prognosis? best Matt

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I'll need to pull up the schematic when I get to my files but I'll see what you need to check to see why it's not heating and post back then.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Very good. I'll wait. I tried to post back to you directly, then other plumbers started to chime in...kind of confusing to control the thread. Not your problem, just saying.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ah I apologize about the confusion but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK so on this dishwasher, there is a high limit thermostat and a heater that you'll need a multimeter to test. If you remove the dishwasher and tip it backwards you can disconnect the wires going to the element and see if you have continuity through the element. If not, replace the heating element. If the element checks good, re-connect the wires to the element and follow both wires. One wire will connect to a small dime sized device with 2 wires going to it. This is your high limit thermostat. Test continuity through this device and if it's open, replace it. If both parts test good, you'd need to replace the main control board.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
154663005 would be the board that sends power to the heater.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I don't see that on the parts list, the other part labeled board is 3554679

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ap4390034 is the same part
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Shoot, the expensive one! So I plan to buy all the parts - heater element, thermostat, and control board...to have on hand to replace what I need tomorrow...hopefully I can bring back what I don't need.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ok good luck.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for everything Zack!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Not a problem.