Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

RDFS30QW Model 96100019 About once a week I get one of two

RDFS30QW Model 96100019

About once a week I get one of two ignition problem even when range is completely dry.
The problems seem unrelated to each other and, unfortunately, are intermittent.
(1) Sometime front right burner won’t spark unless front left burner is on.
And (2) sometimes front left burner won’t stop sparking after ignition.

I’m hesitant to call for service because problems are intermittent.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the problem is only sporadic but your first issue can only be caused by one thing. The front right burner only connects with the front left burner through the spark module. If the front left burner won't spark unless the front right burner is on already, that means you have a spark module that is acting up.

Now your second symptom is likely caused by the spark module either, but it's possibly that it's an unrelated issue. The burner continues to spark when it doesn't think that the flame is lit. Check the spark tip and sand the metal tip to make sure it's clean and can sense the flame. Other than that, just be sure the flame is touching the spark tip and if all of that checks good, your spark module is the problem and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tyler.

The “spark tip” that senses that the flame is lit – are you referring to the top of the igniter, or the horizontal disk that surrounds it? How does it sense the flame?

Do you have a part number that I should order for this spark module?

The very top of the white ceramic igniter has a little silver disk, that is the part you'd need to clean. Flames carry electrons in them and when they touch the igniter, the electrons go back up through the wire to the spark module letting the module know that the flam is lit.

As for the part, the module is part number 753257 and below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for spark module

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. You're terrific and earn an excellent rating. But I will float two more by you just to check my thinking:

My cast iron grating is cracked on my range. I don't think this can be spot-welded so I just live with it. Am I correct or is there a secret solution that you would use?

Also, the oven does not go low enough for proofing bread dough. I don't think there is a solution other than pulsing it briefly with a little heat then just using the oven insulation to keep around 100F. Am I correct on this as well?

Aside from replacing the iron grate, there is nothing you can do to fix the crack I'm afraid to say. You are also correct that this oven doesn't have a proofing option so I'm not sure what the minimum heat setting is, but it will be something around 160 degrees or so. The only way to get it lower would be to pulse the oven on and off like you said.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't ordered the spark module yet because it is not clear whether I can replace it myself or need to hire a technician who has special tools.

Is this module easy to get to?

Do I need a special tool to raise the range top to access?

Is the module right there, or will I have to disassemble further?

You will need specialty tools to remove the cooktop I'm afraid. There is a brass locking nut holding down each burner base in the center. Thermador make a specialty tool to remove the burner bases so that you can remove the top. After you remove the top, the spark module is free to access and it's all plug and play. But unfortunately it would require a technician to remove the top to replace the spark module due to the specialty tool.