Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a duel fuel range model JDS9865BDP. The top element

We have a duel fuel range model JDS9865BDP. The top element in the oven seems to come on during roasting and burns the food. I ran a cleaning cycle and it worked. What are the possible causes for this and how can I find out what the problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When you select roasting, the top broil and the bake element are both used. That is not a problem with how the oven is functioning but it might be a problem with what cycle you really wanted to select. If you only want the bottom element to turn on, then you'd select the normal bake function or if you wanted more even heat, then you'd select convection bake which has a fan that turns on to evenly heat the food.

Now if you meant to say that the top broil element is turning on when you're using bake, make sure that the oven is preheated because during preheat, all elements are used to heat the oven up quickly. After the temperature has been reached, the bake element should never come back on and if it does it means that your logic in the relay board is bad and the relay board would need to be ordered and replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have used the convect roast setting for years when roasting chicken. The chicken usually comes out great. Lately when I've used this setting the top element comes on and burns the chicken. I was thinking that there may be something wrong with the bottom heating element and that the top element comes on to maintain the temperature?? The top element comes on so hot that it is red right in the middle of the roasting process.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If there is any regulation problem with the roasting procedure the only thing that can cause the problem is the relay control board. But the element should glow red off and on when roasting. Now you've used the oven before so you would know if it's not acting quite right and if you're positive it's not acting properly, the relay control board would need to be replaced (this is the display board in the center of your control panel). The cost of the part is about $330 and below is a link to the part you need to order which is part number 8507p232-60.

CLICK HERE for control board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What can I do to determine whether or not it is definitely the control board?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can't test the logic in the board. Either it's working right or it's not. You would know based on whether the broil element is turning on and off during heating and not just staying on. If turns on and off then it's working as intended and as I explained before. The broil element will ALWAYS come on during broil along with the bake element. That is the definition of the roast function--both bake and broil elements are used to heat. The definition of bake is that only the bottom element turns on, and the definition of broil is that only the top element comes on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for being picky. When should the top element come on?

bake, roast, convect bake, convect roast?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Roast, and convection roast will both use the broil.

Bake and convection bake will only use the broil element during preheat cycle at 30% to preheat the oven quicker but once the temperature is reached then the broil element is no longer used.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will keep an eye on it for a while.

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.