Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

we have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that has not worked well since

we have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that has not worked well since it was installed in our new home 3 years ago. the repairman has been out several times and none of his hypotheses or suggestions have improved the situation. the food is removed from most dishes, however black flecks, like coarse ground pepper collects insides cups and glasses on the upper rack and anything touching on the lower rack. this is not from the food we put into the dishwasher. it looks like charcoal from a britta filter. the corners of the upper rack used to be the most covered...but now everything is covered. (we left one vase in the Right upper corner to collect debris each wash) my husband disassembled the machine this weekend...has taken out the chopper (has been run with and without) cleaned chopper, checked the air gap, vacuume breaker, cleaned the sump and sprayers. we do not have a disposal in our sink. please help!! lisa and kevin
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The black debris comes from the tar sound dampening insulation on the inside of the door. If you open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the inner door liner, the outer door will pull off and you can see the black tar glued to the back of the inner door liner. You'll want to cut the bottom inch or two off because over time the water will break this material down and it gets all over the dishes. Now once you get that trimmed a bit higher, run an empty cycle through the dishwasher with a product called Dishwasher Magic and that will clean the dishwasher out completely so it's like new again.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is the best explanation we have yet heard...my husband has the screwdriver out!!

where do we find Dishwasher Magic?

thanks

You can get dishwasher at several places like Sears and Home Depot or Lowes usually, but it will often times be carried at Wal-Mart as well if you happen to have one in your area.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the door is off and we see the black coating. it is very stuck on and we cannot imagine how we could get 1-2 inches off. we also do not see that any of the tar has disintegrated or gotten wet. we don't understand how that insulation gets inside the dishwasher compartment.

L and K

Sometimes it will side down from the heat over time, but if it's not sliding down and it's still all in place and not desintegrating at all, then it's just build up and the Dishwasher Magic would clear out the dishwasher and flush anything out that is building up.