Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Our side by side GE model GSS 255GPESS. Suddenly we can t get

Our side by side GE model GSS 255GPESS. Suddenly we can t get water out of the door and our ice machine doesn't seem to be making ice......
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

When you press for water can you hear a light hum coming from the rear of the refrigerator?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Pull out the top drawer in the fresh food section. Behind there against the wall will be a tank with tubing coming to it or there will be coiled up tubing. Bend that tubing just a little. Can you hear it crack like there may be ice inside the tube?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband thought of that/checked that and it does not appear to be or feel frozen
Does he have a volt meter or a test light?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has every tool I thought but neither of those.
Okay lets go to the ice maker, open the freezer and first look for a small green light with the switch on. If there is no green light just stop and let me know.

Turn off the switch for over 10 seconds. Turn the switch on and press the paddle at the bottom all the way in and out 3 times in less than 6 seconds. Wait and watch. Do the ice maker fingers rotate? Usually I have to do it a couple of times.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. They are rotating
Okay I have an idea. First around behind the refrigerator where the water line connects that is a valve. Tell him to touch that with his fingers and someone else press for water. He should feel a hum. If so then continue, if not stop there and let me know.

Get a bucket, remove the plastic water lines and remove that blue water valve from the body of the refrigerator. Turn that valve into the bucket and have someone press for water, just a little. Do you get water in the bucket? Keep you hands clear of the wire connectors.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No hum. Also I should note before u mentioned the green light we did notice the green light my husband said it was flashing he turned off then back on. After that you instructed us what to do we did that as well. Again no hum
Flashing could be because its not getting water and cycling too much, it should be solid. Water slows it because when it comes in its warm.

Does he know anyone he can get a meter from maybe tomorrow or another day? The reason I am asking is because I believe it is going to be an electrical problem. Even on the main circuit board the ice maker and water dispenser are not tied together.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He will buy one on the way home tomorrow night.
Get a cheap one, it just needs to measure ohms and voltage. It does not need to be a dead on accurate meter. I have seen them for around $10, the cheaper the better.

Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks and that will bring you right back here. When you post I will see it.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok saved, to favorites NAND he says he knows just what to get, will chat again tomorrow,,,,,,,, he says it is now trying to fill with water it clicked,,,,,, still nothing
Oh it did click?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He said it clicked. Also we are going to buy a new filter as well. We are religious about changing it when prompted to do so
One last thing, remove the filter and get a bowl to catch water. Take a look at the picture below. Press that black part up just a little, not all the way in and have someone else press the dispenser. Do you get water there?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok we just hit the hose with the hair dryer just in case and Voila We got water, however, not hearing the ice tray water and or the ice water filling........
Great, now do the ice maker cycle test again and watch it. Does it then fill with water near the end of the cycle?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
E u r e k a...... We heard water. Think that may have fixed it..........Thank you Sooooooo very much
You are very welcome, I really appreciate the opportunity and no parts, thats just great!

If we are done please leave a rating. If you have a problem leaving a rating please let me know. You folks take care.

Thanks,
Barry