Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Water drips down my Whirlpool refrigerator

Customer Question

Condensation forms and water drips down my Whirlpool refrigerator (Model W8TXNGMWQ01) at the lower outside back. Next to a running fan there is a copper tube that appears to be carrying refrigerant from compressor. This tube is cold and condensation forms on it. The fan always runs - at least when I check it. Don't know if it is normal. Also, I noticed ice droplets form on the roof of freezer and frost seems to frm on ice cubs inside ice maker bucket. The unit is 3 years old. The problem could have been there since the beginning. 

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The copper tube that is frosting up on the back of the unit occurs if the refrigerator has a restriction or is over charged with freon. You'd need to have a sealed system certified technician come out and check the freon pressure to determine if you have a restriction or if the unit just has too much freon and needs to somewhat evacuated. It might be difficult to have Whirlpool pay for this repair even if it has happened since the beginning of owning the refrigerator since it's 3 years later now, but it might be something you want to ask them about and see if they would be willing to look at the unit for no charge since it may be a factory related issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your answer. I'll ask Whirlpool to look at it. This unit has been leaking water since the beginning so much so that the subfloor underneath has so much water danage that it has to be replaced. It's in a rental property and I didn't know it until recently. The water leaking may or may not have all come from condensation. I discovered the ice maker water line wasn't securely connected, everytime the ice maker chunk out a batch of ice, water would shoot out from the faulty connector. That has to be a factory defect. I have reconnected and fixed it. Do you think I can get Whirlpool to pick up the expense for that?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Whirlpool is not great about fixing thing out of warranty unlike someone like Dacor. I think you should try to get them to fix the issue, but if I had to bet I would say they will decline and say if it was something that was happening since the beginning you should have called under warranty.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The problem went away after I moved the unit and reconnected water line when I had to redo the kitchen. I will move it back to its original place and monitor condensation issue after kitchen project is complete next week.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Alright, well I'm glad the issue is solved for now.