Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

Refrigerator is leaking and building up an orange colored substance

Refrigerator is leaking and building up an orange colored substance on door of stainless steel refrigerator. The ice smells funny and so does the water
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 33 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 50,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.

May I have the model number of the appliance to better assist you ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ed2khaxvs. Refr. Wpl sbs. 22cf ss

How long has it been since you replaced the water filter ?

And which door is it leaking out of ?

Does the unit set so it would get direct sunlight at any time of the day?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I just replaced filter
No to sunlight
The side that has ice maker. Smells funny and water tastes fuunny

Where exactly does it leak from ?

The bottom of the door ,the dispenser?

Have you cleaned the unit interior with anything to get rid of the smell?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

the dispenser....and no i thought it was the filter...i changed it but so far it has not resolved the issue

Ok would you say it looks like the door area around the dispenser is sweating and leaking ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

probably more sweating otherwise where would the organgy stuff be coming from?

once the interior foam insulation get saturated with water from the dispenser the metal is not painted on the inside of the door panel and it is starting to rust .

When that happens there is nothing that can be done to repair the door .

The entire door assembly has to be replaced ,this is a fairly common issue .

I can give you a part number ,but I need the complete model number from inside the freshfood section on the right inner wall !!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

have any idea of how much something like that would cost

If you give me the full correct model number I can give you a better answer!

Most of the time a new door will run $300-$400 for the part which is the complete door assembly .

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line